Metagenics UltraMeal® Plus Medical Food
Nutritional Support for the Management of Conditions Associated with Metabolic Syndrome and Cardiovascular Disease
UltraMeal® Plus is a medical food formulated to nutritionally support the management of conditions associated with metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease, including hypercholesterolemia, hypertriglyceridemia, and hypertension. UltraMeal Plus, along with a low-glycemic-index dietary program and regular exercise, has been clinically tested and shown to improve 14 markers of cardiovascular health and support a healthy body composition (a healthy ratio of lean muscle mass to fat mass). Each serving of UltraMeal Plus provides:
- A proprietary soy protein and plant sterol blend that provides 2 grams of plant sterols (including beta-sitosterol) and 15 grams of soy protein per serving. Foods containing at least 0.65 g per serving of plant sterol esters, eaten twice a day with meals for a daily total intake of at least 1.3 g, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease. Diets low in saturated fat and cholesterol that include 25 grams of soy protein a day may reduce the risk of heart disease. Soy protein has also been shown to have cholesterol-lowering effects.
- 600 mg of dairy-free calcium (60% RDI). Calcium, along with regular exercise and a healthy diet, can play a significant role in reducing the rate of bone loss or bone thinning and protecting bone strength.
- 5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF)aEU"a body-ready, nature-identical folateaEU"to promote healthy homocysteine levels for cardiovascular health.
- Low-glycemic-index meal option to help maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
- Good source of fiber for gastrointestinal health.
- Comprehensive foundation nutrition for overall health.
THE NATIONAL CHOLESTEROL EDUCATION PANEL OF THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH RECOMMENDS A HEALTHY DIET AND REGULAR EXERCISE, ALONG WITH THE CONSUMPTION OF 2 GRAMS OF PLANT STEROLS AND 10-25 GRAMS OF FIBER DAILY, TO PROMOTE CARDIOVASCULAR HEALTH.
- Provides 2 grams of plant sterols per serving. The NIH recommends consumption of 2 grams of plant sterols to promote healthy cholesterol levels. Foods containing at least 0.65 g per serving of plant sterol esters, eaten twice a day with meals for a daily total intake of at least 1.3 g as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Supplies a low-glycemic-index formula for cardiovascular disease and metabolic syndrome patients.
- Provides a full complement of vitamins and minerals, including non-dairy calcium and chromium.
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
|Vitamin A||1750 IU||35%|
|Vitamin C||60 mg||100%|
|Vitamin D||40 IU||10%|
|Vitamin E||11 IU||35%|
|Vitamin B6||25 mg||1250%|
|Folate (as folic acid and L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate)||400 mcg||100%|
|Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin)||30 mcg||500%|
|Pantothenic Acid||5 mg||50%|
|Plant Sterols (including beta-sitosterol and other plant sterols)||2000 mg||*|
Serving Size: About 2 Scoops (46 g)
Other Ingredients: Soy protein isolate+ (soy), fructose, soy fiber (soy), plant sterols (soy), inulin, dicalcium phosphate, natural flavors, magnesium citrate, potassium chloride, lecithin (soy), olive oil, xanthan gum, guar gum, ascorbic acid, zinc gluconate, pyridoxine HCl, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate, niacinamide, copper gluconate, D-calcium pantothenate, thiamin HCl, riboflavin, chromium polynicotinate, retinyl palmitate, folic acid, L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate, biotin, potassium iodide, cyanocobalamin, and cholecalciferol
Directions: Blend, shake, or briskly stir about 2 level scoops (48 grams) of UltraMeal Plus into 8 fluid ounces of chilled water twice daily, or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.
Warning: Excess vitamin A intake may be toxic and may increase the risk of birth defects. Pregnant women and women who may become pregnant should not exceed 5000 IU of preformed vitamin A (retinyl palmitate) per day.
Formulated to Exclude: Nuts, tree nuts, fish, crustacean shellfish, colors, artificial sweeteners, and preservatives.
This product is Gluten Free.
Do not use if safety seal is missing or broken.
This product contains no high fructose corn syrup.
Keep tightly closed in a cool, dry place
Q. How does UltraMeal Plus® Medical Food work?
A. It provides the same natural, research-based ingredients as original UltraMeal(r) Medical Food, plus the daily recommended intake of plant sterols (in 2 servings). This novel combination provides targeted nutrition for a safer approach to help manage blood pressure, blood sugar/insulin levels, and blood lipid levels (cholesterol, triglycerides). And it's formulated for use with lifestyle recommendations (low-glycemic-load diet, exercise) to help reduce risk to heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Q. How does UltraMeal® Plus Medical Food compare to other products or approaches?
A. Lifestyle therapy is recommended as a first line of therapy for conditions associated with metabolic syndrome and heart disease. In a 12-week clinical study conducted at the FMRC, this program** improved markers of cardiovascular health to a greater degree than a popular heart disease diet and identical exercise recommendations. In a separate 12-week clinical study, this program** improved markers of cardiovascular health more effectively than the same diet and exercise recommendations alone. And it contains only natural ingredients for a safer approach. (**2 daily servings of UltraMeal Plus, along with a low-glycemic-load diet and exercise recommendations.)
Q. How long is UltraMeal® typically recommended?
A. For cholesterol management, the NIH advises a 12-week follow-up for blood work to measure lifestyle therapy effectiveness. With this program, many people report changes such as increased energy and reduced waist size in just a few weeks. Those monitoring blood sugar at home may notice improvements soon after starting the program. This product may also be recommended for long-term support. Follow your health care provider's recommendations for best results.
Q. Who would benefit from UltraMeal Plus® Medical Food?
A. People with conditions related to metabolic syndrome and heart disease, such as high blood pressure and elevated cholesterol and/or triglycerides.
Q. Why is UltraMeal® Plus Medical Food safe?
A. Medical foods must contain ingredients generally regarded as safe (GRAS) or be FDA approved, and Metagenics continually evaluates formula ingredients in concert with current nutritional research for optimal safety and effectiveness. Plus, Metagenics' manufacturing facility has 3 certifications for good manufacturing practices to ensure the highest quality. (UltraMeal PLUS 360o RICE Medical Food offers an alternative for those with hyperlipidemia who may be sensitive to soy.)